Mid Oregon Celebrates Sixty Years in Central Oregon
Mid Oregon Credit Union turns 60! Eight educational visionaries in Prineviille signed our Organization Certificate on November 8th, 1957. That day the credit union had $40 in assets, eight members and zero employees. Two weeks later the certificate was approved by the Bureau of Federal Credit Unions, and the rest is history. Mid Oregon President & CEO Bill Anderson recently said this about why those members started their own financial cooperative:
“…if they don’t have one that’s serving their needs, they have the right to start their own. That’s how our cooperative was founded back in 1957, when eight Prineville educators pooled their savings to give each other loans in times of need.”
From the original credit union “office” in a home in Prineville, we have grown to seven offices across Central Oregon, and are headquartered in Bend. Mid Oregon continues to expand and provide exceptional service, growing to assets worth over $270 million,while developing new and innovative product offerings that provides our members with financial tools necessary for their success.
From Educators to Central Oregon
Originally chartered in 1957 as “Tri-County Teachers Federal Credit Union”, the first field of membership included “Employees of the Public Schools who work in Crook, Deschutes and Jefferson Counties, Oregon; Employees of this credit union; members of their immediate families; and organizations of such persons.” Today, as Mid Oregon Credit Union, our field of membership includes more Central Oregon residents, but serves the same purpose. Anderson said it well at the time of our 50th Anniversary in 2007:
“Mid Oregon was formed as a cooperative in 1957 to provide financial services for teachers who were underserved by mainstream financial institutions. As a result of a few teachers who banded together to help each other, today the Credit Union is available for all those who live, work, worship or go to school in Deschutes, Jefferson, Crook, (Today also including Wheeler, Lake and North Klamath counties). The vision and spirit of that small group is still alive today.”
Thanks for Making our 60th Year the Best Yet.
We would like to thank those who have worked this year to make 2017 a banner year for Mid Oregon. We would also invite them, and you, to celebrate with us. Stop by one of our branches in Bend, Redmond, Prineville, Madras, La Pine & Sisters, or connect with us digitally through email or through our Facebook or LinkedIn pages, to wish the credit union a Happy Anniversary!
Our gratitude goes out to…
- Mid Oregon Credit Union’s 29,000 members.
- Our 100+ employees
- Our region’s auto and RV dealers
- The Chambers of Commerce in Central Oregon
- Our media partners
- Rotary, Kiwanis and other service organizations
- The local vendors and organizations that keep us going
- Our financial services partners Arbor Mortgage Group, Mid Oregon Financial Services and Cascade Insurance Center
- EDCO, REDI, COVA and all who drive Central Oregon economic growth
- Bend Garbage & Recycling for their help with Free Shred Day and Supplies 4 Schools
- All of Central Oregon public schools, educators, foundations and supporters
- Those who govern and administer the municipalities where we live and work
- COCC and OSU Cascades
- Our community partners, including FAN, High Desert Museum, Better Together, Junior Achievement, Boys & Girls Clubs, Healthy Beginnings, COVO, Red Cross, Crook County Foundation and too many more to list
- Our employer partners who entrust us with improving the financial wellbeing of their employees
- Central Oregon Chapter of Credit Unions, and our regional and national associations
- and many, many more!